If you couldn’t tell by the title, IT’S MY BIRTHDAY. And amazingly, I’ve got to spend my birthday in Rome with Liam (my boyfriend) and my mum. There will be a Rome blog post up next week hopefully so I won’t talk too much about it now. We have spent the long weekend exploring the Vatican City, the Colosseum and we even saw the Pope. I can’t wait to share my experience with you all (keep an eye out for that blog post).
But without saying too much, I want to share with you all 23 things I have learnt in 23 years.
- Being honest typically has better results than lying, even though we all find it hard to tell the truth sometimes.
- Don’t make excuses. Just don’t.
- Flowers make me happy. Flowers will always make me smile and brighten up my day. They always have done.
- Take some time to experience other cultures. You might might learn something new.
- Everyone makes mistakes. It’s part of life. Don’t judge someone for making a mistake.
- Learn from your past. You can’t change the past, but you can focus on making your future better.
- Everyone deserves to be happy. Everyone.
- People deal with emotions differently. Don’t tell others how to handle those emotions.
- Hard work pays off. It will, maybe not straight away but it always does.
- Take risks. Get out of your comfort zone. Do something that might scare you.
- Animals make me happy. Dogs mostly, Liam and I will walk down the street and point out every dog we see.
- Bad days don’t last forever. It might take time to get past it but they never stick around.
- Try not to invest too much time in social media. You will end up disconnecting from the people you are closest too. Start with one hour every evening. You need to take the time to bond with people in real life.
- Love what you do for a living. If you don’t love what you do, then you need to change careers. You should wake up wanting to go to work, not loathing it.
- Do the things that scare you. Test your limits. Put yourself out there.
- Not everything you lose is a loss. Not everyone you lose is a loss. Some people are not supposed to be in your lives forever.
- Always tell the people you love that you love them. Even if you’re angry, tomorrow is never guaranteed.
- You can say no. People will respect you for it. There is no point in being a people pleaser, in the long run, you’ll end up exhausted: physically, emotionally and mentally. That’s no good for anybody.
- A smile can make all the difference. You never know what someone else is going through. Be kind.
- Be curious about everything. When you assume you know things, you close yourself off to new experiences and opportunities.
- There are usually multiple ways of doing things. Try to keep an open mind.
- Sleep is not something you should deprive yourself of. No one can function properly if they don’t sleep well! You need between 6-8 hours a night, every night.
- Time spent with friends and family is time that’ll matter the most. I probably don’t need to say this, but time is limited. Spend it with the people who mean the most to you. Never go to bed angry because you never know what is going to happen.
And there you have it. 23 things I have learnt in 23 years! Thank you for reading. Until next time.